8/6/13

Last Room In The Hovel

As Summer winds down, I want to reflect on where I am with this house of mine. It's been a busy 6-8 weeks of work, starting with mudding, texturing, then painting the walls of the living room where I sleep. Next came the decision to pull out the carpet and lay down flooring that matched the kitchen.  Then I built a bed (more on that later).

Next came work on the kitchen in the form of building in the pantry and the smaller under-the-counter fridge, as well as installing drawers.

But most of the time was spent on getting the far end of the house to near move-in condition. Sheetrock, taping, mudding, texturing and painting. We're still working on that space, but it's substantially done.

But the very last room to deal with just finished up yesterday - the second bathroom. It's not finished finished yet, but the toilet and sink are in, plumbed and working, while the shower needs plumbing and tile, etc.

I decided to have some fun and save some water by installing a small sink I was given above the toilet so that it drains into the tank which then gets flushed. It works great!  The rest of the materials are also recycled - old wood and corrugated iron.

Does this now mean the end of the Filthy Hovel?  After all this time and work it has finally been transformed into something else.  It's not exactly a hovel and it's not filthy, really. It's messy and disorganized as a result of living in a space while under construction, and trying to figure out where to put stuff.

I want to continue writing about the experience of creating a space for oneself and all that entails, but should I call it something else? Barky's Excellent Mancave?  I don't know. What do you think?